10. For the film maven on your list who camped overnight in line at the movie theatre to see the new Evangelion…ANIME EYES SLEEP MASKS (seen at Village Vanguard)
9. For the octopus ball lover who just can’t get enough of a good thing…JUMBO DIY TAKOYAKI MAKER (seen at Tokyu Hands)
8. For the vampire gourmet…BLOOD TYPE WINE (seen at Tokyo Midtown)
5. For the dog-lover who has everything…THE SHIBA INU COOKING POT (seen at Tokyu Hands)
4. Even the crankiest techonophobe can’t help but crave a…WOODEN KEYBOARD (seen at the Hacoa store at the Aki-Oka Artisan Co-op)
3. I bet the cat lover on your list doesn’t have a CAT BUTT PENCIL CASE! (seen at Village Vanguard)
2. Can’t afford a $1000 toilet seat? Give the ASHLET ASHTRAY instead! (seen at Village Vanguard)
1. And if you have someone who’s absolutely impossible to shop for…THE ELECTRONIC SUTRA-CHANTING MONK (seen at Tokyu Hands)
And of course, if there are any book lovers on your list, you can get your shopping done in a flash, because the Only In Tokyo mystery series is finally out in PAPERBACK!
The first book in this series set in Tokyo is Nightshade:
…or watch the trailer! (0:52)
Writing mystery books set in Tokyo is mostly what I do, but I also blog about the odd stuff I see every day in Japan. I'm a graduate of Stanford University and the Sendagaya Japanese Institute in Tokyo, and a member of the International Thriller Writers, the Mystery Writers of America, and Sisters In Crime. When I'm not in Tokyo, I live in San Francisco. I also host a travel site called The Tokyo Guide I Wish I'd Had, so if you're headed to Japan and want to check out the places I take my friends when they're in town, take a look!