Top Ten Only In Japan Holiday Gifts 2012!
10. For the film maven on your list who camped overnight in line at the movie theatre to see the new Evangelion…ANIME EYES SLEEP MASKS (seen at Village Vanguard)
When the anime-lover in your life hears herself described as a person who even dreams in CGI, now she can smugly respond, “Like a BOSS!” Seen at Village Vanguard
9. For the octopus ball lover who just can’t get enough of a good thing…JUMBO DIY TAKOYAKI MAKER (seen at Tokyu Hands)
These suckers are a whopping 8 cm (3.2″) across! Seen at Tokyu Hands
8. For the vampire gourmet…BLOOD TYPE WINE (seen at Tokyo Midtown)
Give a special treat to all your undead friends this holiday season! Seen at Tokyo Midtown
7. Make every meal an adventure for the jaded bon vivant on your list with…MANGA PLATES
That THAT, you meddlesome little appetizer!
6. For friends who live anywhere north of the California border…THE MAGIC UMBRELLA (seen at the Koshinzuka Street Market)
A cheering cherry blossom pattern appears when this umbrella gets wet! Your sunshine-challenged friends will thank you every time it rains! Seen at the Koshinzuka Street Market
5. For the dog-lover who has everything…THE SHIBA INU COOKING POT (seen at Tokyu Hands)
So adorable, your friends will want to make Japanese hotpots every night! Seen at Tokyu Hands
4. Even the crankiest techonophobe can’t help but crave a…WOODEN KEYBOARD (seen at the Hacoa store at the Aki-Oka Artisan Co-op)
Admit it – you bought it for your nearest and dearest, but kept it for yourself, didn’t you? Seen at Aki-Oka Artisan Co-op
3. I bet the cat lover on your list doesn’t have a CAT BUTT PENCIL CASE! (seen at Village Vanguard)
Handy field guide shows the view most often displayed by ever-affectionate felines. Seen at Village Vanguard
2. Can’t afford a $1000 toilet seat? Give the ASHLET ASHTRAY instead! (seen at Village Vanguard)
Yes, it really does put out that butt with a nice little squirt of well-aimed water!
1. And if you have someone who’s absolutely impossible to shop for…THE ELECTRONIC SUTRA-CHANTING MONK (seen at Tokyu Hands)
He even shakes his lotus blossom while dispensing blessings near and far! Seen at Tokyu Hands
And of course, if there are any book lovers on your list, you can get your shopping done in a flash, because the Only In Tokyo mystery series is finally out in PAPERBACK!
The first book in this series set in Tokyo is Nightshade:
A young woman dressed as a Gothic-Lolita is found dead in an abandoned car, with a pair of strangers old enough to be her parents. Their suicide note apologizes for a disaster that hasn’t yet happened. And someone is stalking the websites where lost souls go to make a date with death…Read more
…or watch the trailer! (0:52)